Saturday, July 26, 2008

My New Friend Duncan...Another Lost Dog


Robert and I were about to walk out the door when we heard Oscar and Link barking like crazy. We both looked straight ahead to see bloody paw prints along the sidewalk. We run towards the sidewalk and look up the street. A big white dog was running up our street. We whistled and tried calling him. All he did was run faster. So what do I do? Instincts tell me to run after him. Of course I had been battling some illness this week and happened to give it to Robert. But obviously I didn't let that stop me. I chased him into a col-de-sac and Robert pulled up with the car. I jumped in, and the dog now took off down the street. Robert got out of the car to chase him and I drove this time. I followed him in the car down Sinaloa, which is the main street off of our street. He decided to run down the middle of the street. All these cars started honking, I yelled at them that honking doesn't do anything, get out and help me losers. No one did. I am disappointed in the human race and it's stupidity. Well the dog started to slow down, he was getting tired and probably in pain. So I pulled over and ditched the car. I continued to run after him. When I saw two girls walking I yelled "Stop That Dog!" so they ran into the street and cornered him and gave him to me. If it weren't for those girls I may have chased the dog all the way down to Royal, which is a busier street. I thanked them and grabbed his collar to check out his tag. Duncan. He looked to be a Border Collie/Pit Bull mix. He was sweet, tired and bleeding. He couldn't walk anymore. He was hurting. I couldn't lift him. He was big. I dragged him until Robert ran up to where I left the car and got in and pulled it up to us. We got Duncan in the car and brought him back to our house. We gave him water and I called his owner. "Hi, is this Duncan's owner" "Yes" "I found your dog" "Where did you find him" "On my street, we chased him until we caught him, all four paws are bleeding" "Where do you live?" "Up First Street, before you hit Long Canyon" "Wow, how did Duncan make it all the way up there? We live at the bottom of First and Arcane. Give me your address, we will be there in ten minutes" I gave him our address, and we waited while giving Duncan a ton of water. He was thirsty and hurting. Robert had to carry him, he refused to walk. If you could have seen his paws, you would have wondered why the dog kept running in the first place. The pads of his paws were peeling off, and very bloody. His owner, Dave, came right away and was very thankful. He got my info and will call me for dog training services. Works out for and him. His dog needs training and I need the practice. Above is the pic of the bloody paw prints Duncan left on our sidewalk.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

incredible story!! Go super dog saving Bethany!!

Shelly said...

It was uncanny...almost like Duncan knew to come to her for help.

The Olsens said...

Bethany you rock! Defender for the little guys!