Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Loved Bulldog


I have been putting this off because it hurts too much to think about let alone discuss it. So I am informing you all in case you don't know already and would feel better if people didn't ask about how Oscar is doing.

Oscar passed away last weekend. He died of a heart attack in his sleep. He was only 3 1/2 years old. English Bulldogs are very susceptible to heart attacks, especially if they are bred improperly. Oscar was not bred properly at all. I could never have another "bull" breed again. Too much worrying and sadness goes along with taking care of these breeds.

I am happy for times we shared with Oscar. I am also very happy that he spent his last few weeks with a better family that gave him what he needed. I am even happier that he is in Dog Heaven free from seizures and hip dysplasia.

What I am not happy about is the pain and sadness that I am left with. Death really only hurts the living.

He was our baby boy. The first living creature to love Robert and I ever shared together. His life was cut short because he was not healthy due to the conditions he was bred into. We love him and miss him so very much and look forward to seeing him again.

If you want you can share some memories of Oscar in the "comments" and we will be having a memorial service for him when we get his plaque made. Anyone is welcome to come. I will post the date when we have decided when to hold it.

But please I am not ready to talk about this yet. I have not been able to stop crying since Sunday.

If anyone wants to learn more about puppy mills and want to get involved in helping out diseased dogs from puppy mills please go to www.nopuppymills.com or www.stoppuppymills.org or you can visit my dog blog for lots of information on dogs www.doggonepawsitive.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so sorry; you will be in our prayers.

Shelly said...

We are so fortunate to believe that there is a place for all of our loved ones (even pets) in God's kingdom. Be happy for all the joy that Oscar gave, and that he truly is happy and healthy now. We don't understand death, but it is a normal process of living and actually is an extension of living because of the resurrection and the knowledge that we will see our loved ones again. Sorry this is too long. I loved being Oscar's "grandma." May your heart be filled with laughter and all the good times with him.

Anonymous said...

I am not the greatest dog lover in the world, but Oscar did have a fun personality about him. I will never forget when we had to "dog sit" Oscar just after Robert and Bethany adopted him. We were not used to having a dog around and the front door was left open. We all panicked when we noticed Oscar was missing. Leah was crying and we all went around the neighborhood calling for him. It was night time, cold and snowy. As it turned out, he was in the circle across the street trying to get into the Johnson's house. Another time, Oscar bit a hole in the best pair of rubber gloves I ever owned and he ripped my shoe lace. I am so glad Oscar brought so much happiness to so many people. His cousin, Ethan, was very sad when he heard of Oscar's death. Ethan loved Oscar so much. Aline, Oscar's other grandma.

brenbot said...

My favorite memories of Oscar were his crotch shots, drinking out of the squirt bottle, high 5's and that outfit he was wearing at Wag N' Walk. I have some good pictures of him, remind me to send to you. So sorry you are hurting. Love you!