Sunday, October 25, 2009

Kidney Stones (Again)

Yesterday I was experiencing some pain in my right kidney. My first thought was that the baby was just pushing up against it or something since recently we have been seeing more visible movement from the baby. I decided not to think too much of it, but then it just started to get annoying. I felt like I had to go to the bathroom every 2 min, but nothing would come out. Then I had remembered my Doctor telling me that if the baby was in a spot that was making me uncomfortable, to hold a flash light up to that spot and the baby will move away. Well, I tried that. Didn't work. The pain was not diminishing. It was only getting stronger. I drank some water to see if that would help. It wasn't until I realized that I could not stand up straight and that I couldn't think clearly anymore from the excruciating pain that this was not the baby, I was having a kidney stone. This was my 6th kidney stone in my entire life. Normally I would know right away that I was experiencing a kidney stone from my past experience, but since I'm pregnant, the baby is the first thing that comes to mind for anything I am feeling. I should have known better, but I wasn't thinking. Plus my kidney stones come in a pattern. Every 3 to 4 years in the Spring. I had my last kidney stone a year and a half ago and it's Fall right now. Totally out of the norm. Thankfully I had left over meds from the last one and Robert called the Labor and Delivery section of the Hospital to get their advice without having to actually come into the hospital. They were very helpful. I was allowed to take my pain medication and sleep without having to make that trip, pay $500 bucks for the doctors to do the same thing. give me pain meds and let me sleep. I feel a little better. Kind of drugged and tired with a little bit of kidney pain. I have been drinking a lot of water so I can pass the stone quickly, so of course, more annoying frequent trips to the bathroom. Now I don't know what to expect anymore, I will always be surprised with something!

2 comments:

kelli(ann) said...

oh boy! i can't imagine passing a kidney stone. hang in there and i hope you feel better ASAP!

Ryan 'n' Joy said...

you should remind your doctor that you are having a baby - not sea monkeys (the flashlight thing is not science, don't count on it working in the future when the little one is in an uncomfortable position.)